Monday, August 23, 2010

The Cliffs... of Insanity!!!!

Cliffs of Moher

We, the Karnes family plus Mom and Grandma Betty, went to view the Cliffs of Moher and lived to tell the tale.  I was a little nervous about the official barrier we were told that would keep children from flying off the side of the cliff.  I needn't have feared since it consisted of a 4 foot high flat rock fence extending both directions for several hundred feet.  Of course some people refuse to be Suzy Safety and went around the barrier to get the full (or fool) experience.  The only frustrating part was trying to get to the cliffs around the bicycle race detours we encountered.  The GPS was not very happy with us and the feeling was mutual.

Loop Head, no barrier!


Not windy at all.



The Grandmas were really in Ireland.

Cold water in Kilkee


Crazy guy going into the cold water at Lehinch.
We went to the West for Davis to play in a baseball blitz put on by the Kilrush Dolphins.  The Gruffaloes traveled the greatest distance and walked away with 2 big wins.  We also visited Lehinch.  Apparently this is the best place in Europe to surf.  Brr, no thanks!  We were blown away (pun not intended) by the beautiful vistas off of Loop Head, the most western point of Ireland.  One of the local pubs claimed it was the last pub before you get to New York City.  Grandma Betty got to see the rock walls she wanted to see and we all had a good time together.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you all had a good time together! Isn't it great to have your family in your new home? For me, it always makes it feel more like my home if I can show it off to others who visit. I love the cliffs and have fond memories of being there with Josh and Brandon Marshall. In fact, I was just learning that Josh liked me at that time:) Thanks for bringing back good memories. I hope we'll be able to visit you in the "near" future. Love and miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place. I love to see pictures of you guys. I am so happy that your mom and grandma were able to visit. I promised Braden a trip but of course it will have to be when I get out of school. Maybe his eardrum will have healed by then ;) I miss you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise,
    How cool that you know Jeanene. I finished her book yesterday; very good.

    So you’ve been getting in lots of good reading. I always enjoyed pre-reading the books I wanted Morgan and Jenna to read--and eliminating a few before they ever got to them. ha. Hope you and Davis have some great conversations; I’m sure you will!

    I have not read The Help, but I’ve heard that it’s very good. It’s on my list. Let me know what you think if you get to it before I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You
    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete